Friday, July 13, 2012

Hockey thoughts

Let's start off with some hockey, shall we?  Now, I'm a diehard Red Wings fan (and you can tell because I'm not freaking out despite knowing that we're going to suck next season), but I live in Southern California and have seen the Ducks quite a bit, so don't burn me at the stake when I tell you I have a bit of a soft spot for a certain Teemu Selanne.

Selanne's 1400th point, at home against Detroit...yep, I was there.

I even made a special trip up to see the Ducks' last regular season home game this year (also their last home game period since they failed to make the playoffs),  just so I could give him the ol' "One more year!"  Well, I guess it worked because he just signed on for another year, yaaaayyyy!

Now if only Red Wings defenseman and hockey legend Nicklas Lidstrom hadn't retired this year.  I really don't know what we're going to do without him.  It would've been difficult enough to face his loss if we'd signed Suter, but now that he's off to Minny with best buddy Parise, we are completely screwed.  Like, it doesn't even matter at this point that the only two forwards we signed are Tootoo and Samuelsson because our defense is such a gaping abyss.  We could've signed Stamkos (well, not really, but y'know), and we'd still be S.O.L. on defense.

The worst part is, there's no one to blame.  You obviously can't blame Lidstrom for retiring - I shouldn't even have to say that.  You can't blame Ken Holland - he made an offer to Suter that was pretty much the same as the one the Wild made; Suter just happened to want to go to Minnesota instead (God only knows why). As for the "why didn't we see this coming" question, we did, but we didn't have the cash to throw at a prime d-man before Lidstrom retired. There's just nothing we could've done differently to avoid putting ourselves in this situation.  It sucks, and there's no one to point the finger at.  Poop.

I just can't even process the fact that Lidstrom retired yet.  Maybe in another couple months I can start getting mad at Suter, but right now I still can't handle that Lidstrom won't be playing in October or that I'll never see him on the ice again.  Wait, did I say I wasn't going to freak out at the beginning of this post?  God, I'm such a liar - COMMENCE FREAK OUT IMMEDIATELY!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment